Hello! I'm Catriona (pronounced Catreena, it's a Scottish name). I grew up in London and attended college in Sheffield, where I earned a bachelor's degree in Business Studies and French. From there I enjoyed many years as a successful marketing and public relations executive working with major brands.
After moving to California 20 years ago with my family I started my second career as a therapist. I earned my Master's in marriage & family therapy from Pacific Oaks College, and trained at the Family Services Agency of Burbank. I have been practicing as a therapist for over 9 years.
Have a listen to my interview on the Liberty Road podcast to hear more about my journey: https://www.liberty-road.com/podcast/catriona-waters
I am not the kind of therapist who sits in silence waiting for you to say something. I get involved by asking questions and helping you explore your thoughts and feelings.I also teach exercises, such as how to calm the nervous system and how to reframe negative thoughts.
I tailor my approach based on what you want to get out of therapy and how you like to work. I use a combination of evidence-based practices including:
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR),
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT),
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT),
This hybrid approach will help you 'bounce back' from symptoms of worry, stress, anxiety, and depression. We can meet online or in my office (seen in the picture, right).
My background is in business and marketing and I have a great deal of experience in the creative industry. I understand the pressure of high expectations, whether it's the demands of a boss or the pressure you put on yourself. I recognize the swirl that is created as we navigate the push and pull of work and everyday life. I work with you to determine what you want to get out of therapy.
I find my sense of humor helps people relax and feel comfortable, which allows for a more open experience – it is possible to laugh in therapy. Although we work hard in therapy, I encourage people to use laughter as a tool.
I have a long history of working with people from different backgrounds, cultures, and religious beliefs, and I am LGBTQ+ friendly.
I wanted a name for my therapy practice that helped convey to people my approach and values. Bounce! Counseling and Coaching represents:
1. Resilience and Adaptability: the ability to bounce back or recover from challenges.
2.A sense of energy, vitality, and positivity. It reflects my intention to create an uplifting and motivating therapeutic environment where you can explore your struggles and find the strength to overcome them.
3. Movement and Progress: I want to emphasize the importance of progress and personal growth in the therapeutic journey. I support you in making positive changes and moving towards your desired outcomes.
4. Bouncing is often associated with playfulness and joy. I value lightness, humor, and a safe space to help you feel more at ease and open to the therapeutic process.
5. 'Bounce' serves as a metaphor for the therapeutic process itself. Just as a ball bounces back after hitting the ground, therapy can help individuals bounce back from difficult experiences and regain their emotional well-being. It symbolizes the transformative power of counseling and coaching.